May-vember?? Yes, it’s still very rainy here in Ireland so this creamy warming porridge is the perfect start to the day. Rhubarb and apple are a delicious combination at this time of the year.
Porridge is such a healthy breakfast option and it’s guaranteed to keep the hunger at bay for a few hours. Great if you have a busy day ahead or are heading out for a hike or other form of movement.
Don’t omit the maple syrup, rhubarb needs a bit of sweetening or else it’s too tangy. You can replace apple juice with orange juice if that’s what you have.
- 1 cup jumbo oats
- 1 1/2 cups milk (almond milk is lovely here, but use whichever milk you prefer)
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 2 rhubarb sticks
- 1/2 tbsp cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- Flaked almonds
- Chopped pistacchios
- Wash and cut the rhubarb into regular pieces of app. 1 cm.
- Add to a medium saucepan together with the oats, milk. apple juice, cinnamon and salt. Bring to a boil then reduce heat, cover with a lid and let it simmer for about 8-10 minutes until the oats and rhubarb have softened.
- During this time, lightly toast the flaked almonds. It’s worth toasting a bigger batch here and storing whatever you don’t need in a jar.
- Stir the maple syrup into the rhubarb oats.
- Serve in bowls and top with flaked almonds and some crushed pistacchios.