Who doesn’t like a delicious stack of pancakes for breakfast, and these certainly won’t disappoint. Spelt flour is a great choice here, but if you don’t have any, you can also use plain white flour. For a gluten free version use buckwheat flour.
Chia seeds are little nutritious powerhouses loaded with antioxidants and delivering a massive amount of nutrients with very few calories.
Tip: Sifting the flour into the bowl makes all the difference when it comes to creating light and fluffy pancakes.
Makes 10 pancakes
For the pancakes
- 1 1/2 cups spelt flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 1/2 cups milk of choice
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- For the strawberries
- 1 cup hulled and sliced strawberries
- 1/2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Add the sliced strawberries, sugar and lemon juice to a bowl. Mix, then let it sit for 30 minutes max to bring all the sweet juices out.
- For the pancakes, sift the flour into a large bowl.
- Add all the other dry ingredients and mix together with a large spoon.
- Add all the wet ingredients and mix.
- Let the batter sit for 5-10 minutes.
- Put a non-stick pan onto high heat and cook the pancakes in 1/4 cup portions on one side until bubble appears (about 4 minutes).
- Flip over and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Serve with the macerated strawberries.