If you ever thought it was tricky to get more fresh vegetables into your diet, this salad will prove the opposite. It is quick to put together, doesn’t require many ingredients yet packs a punch when it comes to flavour. This summer, weather permitting, we might all be getting together in our gardens for BBQs and this is the perfect salad to bring.
Celery leaves are the green leafy bits at the top of the stalks. They are delicious to add to dishes. Simply cut them off and chop them like any other herb. Use the celery stalks either as a snack (maybe with a dip or some nut butter) or in a hot dish.
The Chickpea Salad can easily be prepared a day ahead, in fact the flavours will even intensify overnight. It will keep in the fridge for 3-4 days.
Tip: A regular olive oil is sufficient for cooking, but investing in a good quality extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar for this kind of salad will really pay off flavour wise.
- 2 tins chickpeas
- 1 yellow pepper
- 1 red pepper
- 1 large bunch flat leaf parsley
- 1 handful of celery leaves
- 1 /2 punnet (about 10) cherry tomatoes
- 1 cucumber
- 1/2 red onion
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves
- Salt & pepper
- Optional: Feta cheese
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas.
- Chop the peppers, flat leaf parsley and celery leaves.
- Slice the cherry tomatoes halfway, the cucumber into rounds and the onion into thin half moons.
- Add all the vegetables and herbs to a large bowl.
- If using feta cheese, cut it into cubes and add it too.
- In a small bowl, mix olive oil with balsamic vinegar, minced garlic, salt and pepper. Pour over the salad and toss it well.