Veg glorious veg! Roasting a whole batch of vegetables is an easy way to ensure you have them ready for the whole week. You can be creative in regards to which vegetables you use – check what is in your fridge and needs to be used up. Ideal ingredients are courgettes, aubergines, peppers, carrots, butternut squash, broccoli, cauliflower, new potatoes, sweet potatoes, butternut squash and chickpeas.
Roasted vegetables are ideal with any protein (tofu, halloumi, meat, fish etc). If you leave out the potatoes the vegetables can also be stirred through rice, quinoa or pasta. Leftovers will last in the fridge for several days … that is if you have any! But it’s worth making double portions as this is so versatile.
The pesto uses basil but you can also use wild garlic which is in season right now and can be picked if you’re out for a hike. (If you’re using wild garlic, omit the garlic cloves). Leftover pesto will keep in the fridge for 3-4 days.
SERVES 3-4 (depending what you choose to eat it with )
For the vegetables
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 head of garlic
- 1 red or yellow pepper
- 1 courgette
- 1 aubergine
- 1 carrot
- 500g new potatoes
- Salt, pepper, mixed dried herbs
For the Pesto
- ½ cup cashews
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast (available in most health food shops)
- ½ cup fresh basil
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1-2 cloves of garlic
- Heat the oven to 200C/400F
- Cut the top of the garlic head off.
- Deseed the pepper and cut into chunks.
- Cut the aubergine, courgette and carrot into chunks.
- Scrub the potatoes and cut into halves.
- Toss all the vegetables in a roasting tin with the olive oil, salt, pepper and mixed dried herbs.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes.
- In the meantime, prepare the pesto.
- Add all the ingredients to a small blender and process to a smooth dip.
- Set aside in a small bowl.
- Serve the vegetables with the pesto on the side or drizzle over the veggies.
Recipe created exclusively for The Good Glow by The Nourished Bowl. We hope you enjoy this recipe. Please tag us @thegoodglow.ie and @thenourishedbowl if you try it!
€85 – €69: The Good Glow Wellness Programme is now available. This course is a guide to better holistic health, including a module based on Nourishment. Click here for more.