Veggie sausages are a great protein source in this popular family dish. Ideally try to find those that are packed with spices and herbs already as this will add so much more flavour to the final dish.
Serves 2 peppers per person
- 6 peppers
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 400g veggie sausages (ideally flavoured ones with herbs and spices)
- 150g mixed mushrooms, chopped
- 1 tbsp dried mixed herbs
- 1 tbsp tamari or dark soya sauce
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 450g cooked rice
- 50g grated cheese
- Some extra cheese for the top
- Chopped curly parsley
- Heat the oven to 190C.
- Remove the tops of the peppers and discard any membranes and seeds from the inside. Set the peppers aside.
- Heat the oil in a pan and add in the onion and garlic. After a minute add in the veggie sausage meat by breaking it down with your fingers. When it’s in the pan, keep breaking it with a fork so that no big lumps remain.
- After 5 minutes, add in the chopped mushrooms, herbs, tamari/soya sauce and tomato puree. Mix everything well, then add in the cooked rice and the vegan cheese. Mix, then let it heat through for another minute. Take the pan off the heat.
- Fill the peppers with the mix and place them in a baking dish. If they tip over, cut a small bit off the bottom so that they stand up.
- Sprinkle with some more cheese, cover with foil and bake in the oven for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and return to the oven for another 10 minutes.
- Serve with some chopped curly parsley on top and some green veggies on the side. The peppers keep well in the fridge for 3-4 days, ensure they are fully reheated through when serving them again.
Join us at The Good Glow Retreat in September where you will get the perfect opportunity to switch off from the world.
Recipe created exclusively for The Good Glow by The Nourished Bowl.