This Mac & Cheese dish is a little lighter than the usual cheese version, yet still creamy and satisfying. Cherry tomatoes and frozen peas are a great way to sneak in some extra veggies at the last minute. The sauce can be frozen so you could even make double and have some ready for another day.
500g Spirali pasta shapes
2 medium carrots
1 medium onion
2 tbsp cashews
2 garlic cloves
150ml soya milk (or regular milk)
2 tbsp nutritional yeast
1/2 tsp mustard powder
1 tbsp tahini
1 tbsp cornstarch
1 tsp smoked paprika
Salt & pepper
90g frozen peas
14 small cherry tomatoes
60g fine breadcrumbs
50g vegan cheese (regular cheese can be used here too)
Drizzle of oil
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F.
- Boil the pasta according to packet instructions.
- Chop the potatoes, carrots and onions. Peel the garlic. Add them all to a small sauce pot together with the cashews. Cover with water, bring to the boil and simmer for about 10 minutes until the potatoes are soft.
- Add soya milk, nutritional yeast, mustard powder, tahini, cornstarch, smoked paprika, salt and pepper to a high speed blender. Give it a quick whizz. Add the drained vegetables and blend to a smooth texture.
- Drain the pasta, then return to the pot. Add the sauce from the blender and mix well, ensuring that all pasta shapes are well covered. Fill into a rectangular baking dish, add the frozen peas and cherry tomatoes.
- In a small bowl, mix the breadcrumbs with the vegan cheese, then sprinkle over the pasta. Drizzle with a bit of oil, then bake in the oven for app. 20 minutes until the tomatoes have started to break down and the top is golden brown.
Join us at The Good Glow Retreat in September where you will get the perfect opportunity to switch off from the world.
Recipe created exclusively for The Good Glow by The Nourished Bowl.