Getting our kids to eat more veg feels like an uphill battle at times. This easy pasta sauce will be popular with kids and adults alike. Lentils are an excellent source of B vitamins, iron, magnesium, potassium and zinc. They’re also a great source of plant-based protein and fibre, so you’re covering all the requirements here, and the extra vegetables make the sauce even more nutritious. Yummy, yummy.
The quantities below will produce app. 1.2 litre of sauce which will feed about 4 people. Leftovers can be kept in the fridge or freezer.
- 1 medium onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 carrot
- 1 celery stalk
- 1 red pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 100g red split lentils
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tsp dried herbs
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 500ml vegetable stock
- Pasta as required
- Optional: chopped herbs and Parmesan cheese
- Chop the vegetables roughly and add them all to a food processor. Pulse a few times so they are chopped.
- Heat the oil in a large pan. Add the vegetables and fry for 7-8 minutes until any liquid that was present has evaporated.
- Add lentils, chopped tomatoes, tomato purée, dried herbs, cinnamon, maple syrup and vegetable stock. Mix everything, bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cover and let it cook for 15 minutes.
- In the meantime, cook the required amount of pasta. When it is cooked, drain, then mix with the sauce. Serve with some grated Parmesan cheese.
Ever wonder about cooking with love, honouring your hunger and letting go of food worry? We cover it all in our online wellness course along with how we can make more time for joy, create healthy habits and build on our self-worth. Check out our latest offer HERE.